Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Welcome to the club.

Yeap... I'm officially now belongs to a very special elite group which is by far the biggest members in the whole world.... The Diabetic Club. Yeap, it's finally here. I was confirmed a diabetic yesterday at 2.30pm by one Dr.Mazidah of a physician and endoctrinist at SJMC. From this time onwards, I was told that my life will be turned upside down. I wish it wouldn't be this way but that's how the world work. You didn't take care of yourself properly, you'll suffer the consequences. It's a universal principle. Cause and effect. My blood test on 18 Feb showed that my Glucose are very high @ 12.2 mmol. Yesterday, it has gone down to 8.0 mmol. It is quite a significant achievement but still I need to maintain the figure if I didn't want any complications later on.

So yesterday, spend half a day at SJMC, getting counselled by a diabetic counsellor, getting briefed on my diet by a trained dietician and so on. I was given a tablet called Glucophage to help my pancreas secreted the insulin more efficiently which I may have to take my whole life. I now will have to buy an instrument that measure my glucose level on a weekly basis. The more I monitor, the better. My Glycosylated Haemoglobin (Hba1c) which actually shows the average glucose level for the past 3 months is as 12% (more than 8% shows poor control). I have to get that down before I'm qualified for my MRTA. Total cholesterol level is a bit high also at 242 mg/dl (should be below 200). LDL is 142 (optimal is <100)>40). So the ratio is 3.8 (risky if greater than 4.5).

So my next appointment is next month. So now there is a new chapter in my blog.... the glucose level. Maybe I need to look for a diabetic blog and read on how they're coping with this gift. But for now.... Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home